On behalf of everyone at Urban Light Ministries, I want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a joyful New Year. As each of us has felt in our own personal way, this year has made an impact on how we now view the world. I wanted to take a moment to say thank you for your generous prayers and donations over the last 12 months. As the Board Chair of Urban Light Ministries, I wanted to share with you the many things this organization, and more specifically, Eli Williams has done for the community.
Over the last 12 months as we battled the day-to-day issues of COVID-19, racism, and family strife we felt it necessary to do our part in helping build stronger bonds in the family and in the community. And, I am proud to say that with the leadership of Eli Williams much was accomplished. Some examples of the work this year include:
- The release of the POPS 101 online classes to reach fathers who needed to improve their skills – this program is now offered in both English and Spanish
- The development and implementation of a Video Series for families entitled “Fathering During a Pandemic.” With families being quarantined at home we felt it was important to provide Godly skills in fathering and family unity. The seven series included:
- Why Dads Matter
- Being Successful Socially Starts in the Home
- Creating Order in the Midst of Chaos
- Father as a protector
- Father as an Order Keeper and Provider
- Raising Teenagers
- Father as the Stabilizer
- We continued to recognize outstanding fathers in the community. More fathers then ever in the past received the Fatherhood Community Award. Twenty-seven outstanding dads were recognized for their leadership within their families and community.
- A Fatherhood Devotional was created and printed and provided to each of the fathers who were awarded the Fatherhood Community Award. The devotional was also made available to any family that is interested, free of charge.
- Eli’s personal leadership and conviction continued through working with local churches towards building Biblically healthy multiethnic relationships through his work with Celebrate Simunye and cohosting the 4 part video series on “Defining This Moment.”
- With the dramatic increase in the homeless population due to the pandemic, Eli saw the need to mobilize the faith-based community to address this problem and is leading a taskforce and working with the Interfaith Hospitality Network.
For all of Eli William’s work and dedication in the community, he was awarded the 2020 Nehemiah Foundation Leadership Award.
As you can see your prayers and donations are making an impact. As the year ends please continue to pray for Urban Light Ministries, Eli Williams, the struggles that many families are now going through and those seeking shelter for the night.
As like many nonprofits this year we were not able to host an annual fundraiser and therefore have raised only 58% compared to what was collected last year. Please consider a year-end gift so the work of Urban Light Ministries and Eli Williams can continue touching those in the Springfield community.
With sincere gratitude,